Coconut rice is a dish that involves soaking white rice in coconut milk. It can also be prepared by cooking rice with coconut flakes. Due to rice being a common crop in many regions, coconut rice is prepared worldwide. Let’s see how to make coconut rice and coconut rice pudding:
How to Make Coconut Rice?
Rice is made flavorful and tempting by adding curry leaves and fresh coconut. This recipe is a quick one, helping you save lots of time. Hence, it only requires a few minutes while you are ready with freshly grated coconut and cooked rice. Because it is highly rich in nutritional content, it is a great dish for lunch.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it needs ingredients that can be found easily at home. You just have to do some effort in finding good-quality coconut. Since the more water it has, the better it will be. Take a sip of water and check out if it’s fresh in taste or not because it will help you in choosing the right coconut.
- 2 coconuts
- Meat (the white, fleshy part of the coconut seed) chopped into small pieces no bigger than a quarter
- Water 8 cups
- White rice almost 1 pound
- Sugar 1 teaspoon
- Salt 2 teaspoon
- Raisins one-fourth cup
Pour 4 cups of water into the blender along with half of a coconut. Blend for almost 2 minutes. Now, take this mix out of the blender via a strainer into a pot with a thick bottom. Keep the heat to medium and note when the cream boils and beware it does not get burned (no overheating).
For removing starch from the liquid, rinse the rice in two or three pots of water. If some pieces of coconut are left, reuse them for making coconut milk.
A time will reach after about 20 minutes of boiling when the liquid stops shrinking and get thickened. Reduce the heat to keep it at medium and stir it gently. When the coconut milk becomes thickened that it finally separates into a mound of rubbery curds that appear in the clear oil, because of this, the solid start to getting fried in the oil. Add salt and sugar when it darkens in color and now pour another batch of coconut milk. Keep stirring it.
Add the rice and stir. Put the lid on and let it heat on medium. After almost 1o minutes, reduce the heat. It appears quite thick after a while, add some water to it but not too much, just in a little amount. Keep cooking the rice for about 15 minutes on low heat. Also, add raisins while stirring them. Later, turn the heat off and cover it properly. Leave it for almost 20 minutes to settle before serving.
Also, check How to Cook Black Beans?
Hence your coconut rice is ready. Serve it with some seafood and do not forget to put the rice in nice bowls to make them appear more tempting to the eye. Further, it can be made with lots of other combinations as well. See SELF Nutrition Data.
How Healthy is Coconut Rice?
Homemade coconut rice contains 453 calories in total per 1 cup cooked. It has 54 % carbs (61g), 40 % fat (20g) and 5 % (6g) protein.
However, these percentages are based on a diet of 2000 calories per day.
Let’s check out how coconut rice pudding is made.
How to Make Coconut Rice Pudding
The pudding is also easy to make and involves a simple procedure.
Water: 1 and a half cups
White Rice: 3/4 cup
Coconut milk: 1 can
Milk: half cup
White sugar: 1/4 cup
Salt: 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut oil: 1 tablespoon
Coconut extract: 1/2 teaspoon
Vanilla extract: 1/2 teaspoon
Pineapple: 1 wedge
Egg: 1 (beaten)
- Take water and rice in a saucepan to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover it. The liquid gets fully absorbed after about 20 minutes of boiling.
- Now, combine rice, coconut milk, salt, and sugar in a pot and cook it for about 20 minutes with constant stirring till it thickens and turns creamy.
- Take an egg and beat it along with milk in a bowl.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of rice mix into the milk mixture and keep beating it. Do it gradually while constantly beating.
- Cook and stir continuously until the pudding gets heated.
- Now take off the pot from heat and mix coconut oil, coconut extract, and vanilla extract into pudding and stir it.
- Put it in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Garnish it with a pineapple wedge.
Interesting Facts About Coconut
- The tropic and subtropics have palm trees from where coconut is obtained.
- The word ‘coco’ means ‘grinning face, grin’. It was derived by Portuguese sailors in the 16th century who thought that the three small holes on it resembled a human face, ‘nut’ was added later on.
- Coconut water can be a substitute for blood plasma.
- Coconut milk contains high-fat content (about 17%) and is low in sugars. It is also used for making coconut creams, hence best for skin-care products.
- Coconut leaves are used for making brooms, mats or baskets,s and many other things.
- Different desserts are also made with coconut and these desserts are an absolute delight to the eye. They are also very good in taste.
- Coconut milk is extremely good for the skin and is added to moisturizing creams.
- Besides that, coconut milk can also be used in place of dairy products giving nutritious dishes with amazing taste.
- Further, coconut milk is also best for making yummy coconut ice cream.
- Not only this but also coconut milk is used for marinating fish and meat.
Hence, it would not be wrong to admit that the coconut is used for a variety of applications in different forms. Similarly, it is also one of the essential beauty-enhancing materials. This is because it has a high nutritious content and is best for skin and human health.