Over the years, casserole has been a significant part of American cuisine. It’s both simple to prepare and gourmet to eat. Conceived from France, casserole has become a cherished dish across the world. Whether it is holiday season or an ordinary weekend, casserole is an American sweet-heart.
And, what better way to make a casserole than with oysters? Seafood is relished by many people and oysters have become a prominent item on menus across the United States. Oysters are scrumptious, saline and appetizing! So why not make an oyster casserole? In this article, we will explain how you can prepare an oyster casserole at home. It’s simple to prepare and you can impress your friends and relatives with this mouthwatering cuisine.
WHAT IS A CASSEROLE?
Before we begin on how you can make a casserole, it is important to know what a casserole is. If you’re preparing a casserole for the first time, you probably don’t know what it is. A casserole is a wide and deep pan that is used as a cooking and cuisine container. “Casserole” is also the word denoted to anything that is prepared inside of it.
In the United States, a casserole means any cuisine that contains the three constituents; meat or seafood, vegetables and flour or pasta. Sometimes, there’s also a third constituent; cheese. Usually, casserole is prepared slowly in the oven and can be served as the main-course.
HOW TO PREPARE OYSTER CASSEROLE?
Oyster casserole is a part of the tradition in Southern cities of the United States. It’s simple to prepare, doesn’t consume much time and can be the main-course for dinner. However, not many people adore oysters! Either they are a customary delicacy or a bizarre experience.
- 2 quarts’ oysters,
- 1/4 lbs. or 1 stick of butter,
- 3 whole scallions, chopped,
- 1 green or red bell pepper, seeded, de-ribbed, and chopped,
- 1/2 lbs. of mushrooms, sliced,
- 1/4 cup of flour,
- 1 cup of heavy cream,
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated,
- Freshly chafed nutmeg,
- 1/2 tsp. of paprika,
- Salt, as per preference,
- Freshly minced black pepper,
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- On a 9 x 13 in pan, spray with non-stick spray or grease it.
- Drain the oysters and set them aside.
- In a casserole pan, melt two tbsps. of butter.
- Add the scallions and pepper, and fry them for almost 5 minute or until the onion becomes soft.
- Then, add the mushrooms and oysters as well, and fry them for almost 5 minutes.
- In another pan, melt the remaining butter.
- After that, combine the flour.
- When it becomes consistent, combine the cream and mix until it boils or becomes dense.
- Now, combine the cheese as well.
- Pour this sauce into the oyster mixture.
- Now, season the mixture with the nutmeg, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Place the casserole onto the stove and wait for it to simmer.
- In the 9 x 13 in pan, pour the mixture and add the bread crumbs.
- Then, place it in the oven until it becomes brown or until effervescence.
- Serve warm!
Prepare this oyster casserole during the holiday season or weekends, and amaze your friends and relatives with a scrumptious cuisine. It’s simple to prepare and doesn’t consume much time either. Did you attempt this recipe? Comment below and tell us what you think. If there are any suggestions, do mention them below as well.
Read More : Can You Freeze Hard-Boiled Eggs – The Best Guide