Kale is one of the healthiest foods as it is full of nutrients. These nutrients are good for your hair, bones, skin and overall health. The fiber content found in kale not only increases the process of digestion but is also helpful in improving your cardiovascular health. Talking about kale, it is essential to know that what does kale taste like?
What Does Kale Taste Like?
Different people have different opinions about its taste, some like it while others do not. The kale tastes quite bitter, be it in raw or cooked form. Being named as a ‘king of super healthy greens’, it belongs to the cabbage family. Here are some of the benefits it provides to human health:
- It has more nutritional values than spinach.
- Kale is also helpful in lowering the chances of cancer.
- Not only that but it also lessens blood pressure.
- Further, it also prevents asthmatic diseases.
- It maintains blood glucose and is good for diabetic patients.
- Due to its rich potassium content, it aids in preventing heart diseases.
- Also, kale is a natural source of antioxidants and vitamins including vitamins A, K, and C along with calcium, magnesium and many others.
How To Cook Kale?
There are different ways to cook kale and all of them are brilliant! Have a look at some famous ones:
To keep your food rich in nutritious content, try exposing it less towards heat. The Pesto is cooked accordingly.
Basil Leaves: 1 cup
Kale leaves: 2 cups
Olive oil: 1/4 cup
Salt: Just a pinch
Walnuts: 1/4 cup
It is very easy to cook and does not involve a long list of ingredients. Mix aforementioned quantities of basil leaves, kale leaves, olive oil, walnuts and a pinch of salt in the blender to a point it attains smoothness. For toppings, use sauce or any pasta dish. You may also add flatbread. Hence, a very quick recipe with lots of nutritious content is ready.
Yet another quickest recipe, the Kale smoothie contains:
5-6 kale leaves
½ cup blueberries
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 scoops chocolate protein powder
Soy milk, frozen banana
Kale, minced ginger,
Cinnamon, fresh lime, and ice cubes
The cashews and minced ginger are added to make the smoothie good in taste and flavorsome. Mix all these ingredients in a blender and a creamy, eye-appealing smoothie is ready for you.
What Does Kale Taste Like In A Smoothie?
Without banana and other fruits, lime, cashews, ginger and dates, the kale does not taste much pleasant. Hence, to make it palatable, all these ingredients are added. The more fruit content it has, the better it tastes and may become an absolute delight!
Kale chips are very popular and the bitterness of kale is quite reduced while making chips. Further, the kale chips can be made more palatable by different seasonings and flavors.
First of all, remove the stems and rinse the leaves. After that, dry the kale to a point when no wet spots are left. Organize these dried leaves on a baking sheet and place them separately.
Season those leaves with salt and pepper, also toss with some olive oil (about 2 tablespoons). You may also add other spices for seasoning as per your choice. Preheat the oven up to 275 degrees F. Put these seasoned leaves in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes and bake till they turn crispy. Your delicious chips are ready to be served.
What Does Kale Chips Taste Like?
Due to multiple seasonings and drying, the actual bitterness of kale is reduced and they taste quite good if made properly. For some interesting details about kale chips, check out thrive cuisine.
How Many Calories Does a Kale Contain?
As mentioned earlier, the kale is filled with lots of healthy nutrients. First, a cup of kale has only 35 calories. Second, serving of 1 cup of kale is 250 ml for raw and 125 ml for the cooked kale. Besides, it also has a large number of vitamins, fibers, and antioxidants.
Interesting Facts About Kale
Do not miss out some of the interesting facts regarding kale:
- Ancient Greeks used green leaves to cure drunkenness. When analyzed, it was reported that those included kale along with few other similar plants.
- Broccoli, sprouts, cabbage, and kale all belong to the same species of Mustard plant.
- If taken too much, it may cause hypothyroidism. Hence, use it at a moderate rate.
- Raw kale may cause some indigestion issues since it is harder on the digestive system, that is why it usually comes cooked.
- Because of its high demand at present times, McDonald’s has announced serving it with spinach for breakfast.
- Many famous proverbs involve kale.
Talking about foods, do not miss out on Ways To Cook Black Beans.
What is Kale Famous For?
Kale is associated with being cool and how? Let’s find out!
Kale emblazoned sweatshirt was worn by Beyonce in her 7/11 video and it got the fame and admiration by millions of fans. The American Kale Association has made it a cool trend in different regions and people love to grow it, as it is such a healthy content to be put in food. It has yet become a poster-child superfood ingredient used by many restaurants as a cool addition to their cuisine. Hence, the bitter-in-taste, green vegetable has become one of the coolest items in quite a short period.