It is your responsibility to ensure the safety of your child while asleep. Children should not use blankets till they reach a certain age. But once you feel the child is big enough to use a blanket, you should opt for safe and cool sheets for bed or crib and avoid pillows. A crib should have a firm mattress for more comfort. Choosing other bedding may be challenging. A few tips can help you choose safe bedding and blankets for your children.
Tips for choosing children’s bedding and blankets
1. Avoid dressing the baby in layers
Some children do not want any bedding to cover them while asleep. Investing in sleeping bags or warm but comfy sleeping pajamas is the best option.
2. Opt for cool bedding to avoid thermal stress
One way to avoid heat is to make the bed with cooling sheets. One should also avoid overdressing the kid while asleep. Children manage heat loss even if you do not cover the head. Again, they will not sweat a lot at night, so they enjoy better sleep. Again, let the baby sleep at the bottom of the crib, and the blanket should reach on his chest. That way, the baby cannot move further down and cover the face risking suffocation.
3. Size of the blanket
Large blankets have a higher risk of suffocation. Parents should opt for smaller and lighter blankets. Woolen blankets provide more warmth and are also very light.
4. Blanket Fabric
One should opt for muslin blankets for kids as they are breathable in case. Weighted blankets are not suitable for small children. But with age, one can introduce the weighted blankets due to their sensory benefits. Avoid blankets with ribbons or strings as they may accidentally choke the child. Remember to tuck the blanket and sheets into the mattress when laying the child to sleep. That will ensure they remain in place throughout the night.
5. No toys should be on the bed
Though some children may find it comforting to sleep with their toys, parents should not allow that. They could cause suffocation and also impact sleep comfort.
Deciding how many blankets a bed for the child should have is another challenge parent’s face. That will depend on the following factors;
- Room temperature.
- Baby temperature a sit may vary depending on their health status and other factors.
- Special needs for the child such as allergies or infections
- Other safety tips for children bedroom
- Keep the baby’s crib clear of pillows or toys
- Children under one year of age should remain in the parents’ bedroom for closer monitoring.
- Avoid side and stomach sleeping till the child’s muscles fully develop to support their movement from one position to another. The ideal sleeping position for children is on the back.
- The area above and beside the crib should be clear of hanging objects, curtains, or artwork. Crib placement is vital to ensure child safety.
Choosing appropriate bedding for the child will enhance their comfort and ensure that they have a relaxing bedtime. These tips can help in creating a comfy and more relaxing bedroom for your children.